Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Common Misconception

Have you ever heard this: We don't have time to document our code? We just need more time. I know I'm supposed to be doing a project management plan, but I just don't have the time. If you want me to do that the entire project is going to take a lot longer.

See here is the reality. People don't do things if they don't pay off, they may start but they quickly stop if it doesn't pay off. On the otherhand, if things work they will keep doing them.

You will find I like to explain things with analogies because human beings understand object models and we actually have a lot of complex object models in our head that have taken long time to develop and it turns out that most object models are more the same than different. I recognize that they aren't 100% the same, but hopefully enough to get the point across.

Ok so here's my first analogy. I really want to make it with that woman. But I don't have time to get a condom, so I'll skip it. Well now, what if you end up paying the price for that time savings, either in becoming a potential father or getting or giving a disease. Is it a pain to do? yes, but it pays off, so you do it.

Is software documentation like a prophylacitic for your system? could be, if it's the right kind of documentation. OK maybe I better stop with that analogy or it will get people really on my case. But hopefully the point is made. When things pay off, however inconvenient, you do them, if they don't pay off you find excuses that usually stick and you don't do them.

No comments: